Dale Cooley August 17, 1944 – February 18, 2021
Dale Cooley died Thursday, February 18, at home under the care of hospice and with family by his side. He had lived with stage 4 cancer for several years.
Dale will always be remembered for his deep commitment to his program of recovery. He celebrated 38 years August 27, and insisted on facing the challenges of cancer with his sobriety intact. In the midst of all that he undertook with his illness, he maintained his sense of humor, his commitment to helping others, and his optimism born of his own experience, strength, and hope.
Dale grew up in Wyoming in a Mormon family, leaving home to move to Denver and then later to Los Angeles. His career was working in the banking business, something he always said he enjoyed, except for having to wear a tie to work every day.
In retirement in the 1990s, he moved to Palm Springs where he continued his involvement at Sunny Dunes and at other meetings in the Valley. For several years he worked during the tax season at H & R Block, right up to three days before he died.
Dale is survived by a host of friends that grew up around him in cities around the country. He is also survived by a brother from St. George, Utah, a niece and two nephews, one of which, Jason, lived with Dale in Cathedral City.
An outdoor memorial occasion is planned for sometime in late April or early May.
Attention Sunny Dunes members: On Monday, February 8th at 6:30pm we will be having our monthly meeting of the Sunny Dunes Steering Committee
Meeting ID: 907-5838-761 – Password: 12345
Reports from Secretary, Chairman, Co-Chairman, Treasurer, Bookkeeper, Webmaster.
Accept resignation of Secretary Stephani O.
Please help us fill the following positions:
- Secretary: record minutes of monthly steering committee and then load to website and hang in room, pre-stamp envelopes for deposits, update meeting secretaries’ telephone list, sign checks. (Req: 1 year continuous sobriety, previous commitment on steering committee; includes being a meeting secretary, must attend Sunny Dunes Monthly Steering Committee Meetings, some computer knowledge is necessary.)
- GSR (General Services Representative): represent Sunny Dunes 5th Tradition AA fellowship at monthly meeting of Area 9 of AA (Area 9 is part or all of Riverside, San Bernardino, Orange, and LA counties. (Req: 2 years continuous sobriety, must attend Sunny Dunes Monthly Steering Committee Meetings.)
- Grapevine: represent Sunny Dunes 5th Tradition AA fellowship with AA Grapevine, our international journal, including obtaining complementary subscriptions for members celebrating 1 year of continuous sobriety. (Req: 6 months continuous sobriety, must attend Sunny Dunes Monthly Steering Committee Meetings.)
- Telephone and Meeting Lists: monitor telephone and meeting lists, update each month, and get printed. (Req: 6 months continuous sobriety, must attend Sunny Dunes Monthly Steering Committee Meetings, some computer knowledge is necessary.)
We will be discussing how to make Sunny Dunes whole again, so that we can go back to our regular steering committee consisting of 45 or so voting secretaries (1 secretary per meeting)
The Sunny Dunes Steering Committee had a special meeting on Monday evening, 1/25/2021, at 6:30 pm.
- Congratulations to Todd S., our new webmaster. Special thanks to Ken M., former webmaster, for 8 years of superior service.
- We now have closed captioning available for all Zoom meetings that use ID 3089008339. Thank-you Kyle M. for making this possible.
- As concerns reopening the Sunny Dunes Meeting Room, the following was decided. California just lowered us down to the purple tier. When we get down to the red tier, and are there for 2 weeks, we will automatically reopen.
Special thanks to Rick Noll, and Bryan Duke for their service!
Sunny Dunes 5th Tradition (In-House Meetings)
IN-ROOM MEETINGS CANCELLED!
The 7th Tradition states: “Every A.A. group ought to be fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions.” While contributions cover each group’s rent and other expenses”
We will update as COVID-19 Pandemic Improves
(If interested in taking on a Secretary commitment in the room
please complete the “SD COVID Secretary” application.) ON HOLD!
Secretaries must have a minimum six months sobriety.
Our 7th Tradition states:“Every A.A. group ought to be fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions.”
As you can imagine, AA contributions are now falling off sharply. Our meeting room may be empty, but the rent still needs to be paid. Please consider making a (regular) contribution to our Sunny Dunes Group.
Checks can be mailed to:
Sunny Dunes 5th Tradition Group
4711 East Palm Canyon Drive, Ste. B
Palm Springs, CA 92264
Zelle payments: SunnyDunes5th@gmail.com
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for AA membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. AA is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy, neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.
Copyright © by The A.A. Grapevine, Inc.
Our location is:
(Site Photo by Gym C.)